Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit and the door which gives access to the other Sacraments.
Infant Baptism (infants and children under the age of seven) is the normative way to begin the initiation of children into the Church.
The information below is to help families to prepare for the Sacrament of Baptism. Please fill out the baptism intake form and someone from the church office will contact you to discuss the next steps in baptizing your child. You may contact Janice Maginn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-328-3220 ext 103 after you have read the information below and filled out the intake form
1. The family must be registered members of St. John Neumann Church and attending Sunday Mass here regularly and/or live in our Parish boundaries. You may go to this link to register as a parishioner: Click here.
2. Before a date for the Baptism can be scheduled, copies of the child’s birth certificate, a copy of the parents’ marriage certificate and Godparent Sponsor Covenant Form from the godparent/s are required. The documents may be brought to the office, mailed, emailed or faxed (512-328-3226).
3. Baptism Class Information:
Completion of a baptism instructional class is required for both parents and godparents. Attendance will be waived if a class has been completed within the last 2 years. A certificate or letter of completion is required for parents/godparents if they have attended class elsewhere.
At St. John Neumann, we offer a free baptism preparation retreat for all Catholics and their godparents (sponsors). The retreats are held on the third Saturday of the month from 9:00AM-12:00PM in Morris Hall. An exception would be if a holiday or a church event falls on that day; then it would be rescheduled to another Saturday. Registration is required by midnight on the Wednesday prior to the desired Saturday class to allow adequate preparation time for the retreat. Please make sure all attendees sign in individually so we may have a record of attendance for all individuals. There is no fee for the class. Please note the baptism class is for adults only. Out of respect for the other attendants and Deacons, please make outside arrangements for babysitting.
4. Baptisms at St John Neumann are available on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every month at 10:00 am. The number of children to be baptized at those times is limited to three. The dates are first come first served. We are currently not providing private baptisms.
5. Each Godparent will be required to complete and sign a Godparent Sponsor Covenant Form that has been provided by SJN and the Diocese of Austin. This document should be returned to the parish office prior to scheduling the Baptism.
6. There is no fee for the Sacrament of Baptism; however, it is customary to offer the Clergy a monetary gift stipend or make a donation to the church, the amount is at your discretion. If given in a check form, please make it payable to the Clergy or to the church, whichever is your preference.
Requirements to be a Godparent:
Only one godparent is required for Baptism, however, it is customary for a child to have two godparents. If the child is to have two godparents, one must be male and the other female. The godparent/s (sponsor/s) must:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Be a practicing Catholic who has been Confirmed, has already received the sacrament of the Eucharist, and leads a life in harmony with faith and the role to be undertaken
- If married, is in a valid Catholic marriage
- Not be the father or the mother of the one to be baptized
If you have someone who you would like to participate in the baptism of your child but\is, not of the Catholic faith or a Catholic who does not meet the requirements, that person may serve as a Witness and would not have to take a Baptism Instructional class or complete and sign the Baptism Sponsor Covenant form.
Questions about Baptism? We are here to help!
512.328.3220, ext. 103
If you, or someone you know, is seeking Baptism as an Adult in the Catholic Church please contact the Director of Adult Faith Formation, at 512-328-3220, ext. 117 or email her at email@example.com for further information on how this might become a reality. Preparation for Baptism as an adult is a more involved process requiring completion of a preparation course that usually requires a year. We call this program RCIA - the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults - and we will be more than happy to walk with you through the process.
Related to this; the Catholic Church recognizes all those who are past the age of 7 as no longer eligible for infant Baptism. They are recognized as having personal agency and therefore need to be treated as adults with regard to the Sacraments. Each situation is unique, and their program often needs to be personalized. If your child is beyond the age of 7 and you are seeking to give them the Sacraments, please do not hesitate to contact the Sacraments Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be more than happy to help.
Questions about Adult Baptism? We are here to help!
Director of Adult Faith Formation
512.328.3220, ext. 117